Oral cancer screening
At Enhance Dental we are absolutely commited to screening for oral cancer since early detection of oral cancer could save your life!
Oral Cancer is one of the least understood diseases in our society yet, each day around three Australians are being diagnosed with it.
One of the biggest issues about oral cancer is that it can affect anyone as there are a number of causes that are not well understood. Even though smoking is the main cause of oral cancer, over 25% of oral cancer sufferers have never smoked!
In its early stages oral cancer may appear to be a harmless looking ulcer. Enhance Dental understands that early detection of oral cancer is essential, as you then have around a 90% chance of surviving.
What are the common signs and symptoms of oral cancer?
- Red or white patches inside your mouth
- An ulcer, sore or blood blister that does not heal and/or bleeds easily
- A lump, spot or roughened/crusted area that may or may not be painful
- A numb area anywhere in your mouth
- Tenderness or mouth pain
- Changes in your bite or the way your teeth fit together
- Pain or difficulty when chewing, swallowing or moving your tongue or jaw
- Changes in your speech such as hoarseness
- Altered taste
- Loose teeth and/or sore gums
- Swollen glands
What are the risk factors for oral cancer?
By eliminating as many of the risk factors listed below and having your lips and mouth regularly checked at Enhance Dental you can help prevent oral cancer. Risk factors include:
- Chewing tobacco
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Too much sun exposure including sun tanning beds
- Sexually transmitted disease – Human Papilloma Virus (HPV-16)
- Diet low in fruit and vegetables
- Prior radiation treatment (radiotherapy)
- Exposure to some chemicals such as asbestos, sulphuric acid or formaldehyde
- Regular chewing of betel nuts (popular in some parts of south east Asia)
- GORD (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease)
Enhance Dental will conduct a painless, non-invasive oral cancer screening to check for any abnormalities in your entire mouth, not just your teeth. Our oral cancer screening will check for any changes inside your mouth even if there is no pain, and review your dental X-rays for anything unusual. Regular dental check ups is essential to monitor not only your teeth and gums but also all other areas of your lips and mouth including below your tongue.